Social media refers to the means of interactions among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and online networks. A traditional Social Media Manager role would include the management of the main Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Foursquare, YouTube and Vimeo accounts, amongst others.
Key Principles for Social Media Managers:
- Social media is about conversations, community, connecting with the audience and building relationships. It is not just a broadcast channel or a sales and marketing tool.
- Authenticity, honesty and open dialogue are key.
- Social media not only allows you to hear what people say about you, but enables you to respond. Listen first, speak second.
- Be compelling, useful, relevant and engaging. Don’t be afraid to try new things, but think through your efforts before kicking them off.
Popular Social Media Tools and Platforms:
- Blogs: A platform for casual dialogue and discussions on a specific topic or opinion.
- Facebook: The world’s largest social network, with more than 1.15 billion people using the site (as of September 2013). If you haven’t heard of it, where have you been? Users create a personal profile, add other users as friends, and exchange messages, including status updates. Brands create pages and Facebook users can “like” brands’ pages.
- Twitter: A social networking/micro-blogging platform that allows groups and individuals to stay connected through the exchange of short status messages (140 character limit).
- YouTube & Vimeo: Video hosting and watching websites. More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month. Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube—that’s almost an hour for every person on Earth!
- Flickr: An image and video hosting website and online community. Photos can be shared on Facebook and Twitter and other social networking sites.
- Instagram: A free photo and video sharing app that allows users to apply digital filters, frames and special effects to their photos and then share them on a variety of social networking sites.
- LinkedIn Groups: A place where groups of professionals with similar areas of interest can share and participate in a conversations happening in their fields. 
At Create Film Production we make every effort to produce shiny, lovely looking online videos that can form the centre piece of wide reaching social media campaigns. To find out how your business can benefit from online video and social media get in touch – We would be thrilled to have a cuppa’ with you and discuss how we can help.
Oh, by the way…YouTube isn’t just for business. Here’s a happy dancing monkey. Enjoy!